Website DELTA CENTRE CLG
|Job Title||Social Care Worker|
|Job Location(s)||You will be required to work at any of the organisation’s Respite and/or Residential services and/or at Delta Centre, Strawhall, Carlow, Co. Carlow.|
|Salary||Linked to HSE Social Care Worker Salary Scale (Disability Services)|
|Reporting To||Residential Services Manager|
|Hours||Full Time – 156 hrs per 4-week roster
The roster includes day, evening, nights and weekend work.
*Please not that reduced hour contracts are also available.
|Purpose of the Role||The social care worker (SCW) is responsible to provide day-to-day personal care and support for the learners of Delta Centre. The Social Care Worker must have the desire and the belief that the person with an intellectual disability has something unique, equal and important to offer society.
The Social Care Worker in co-operation with the Social Care Leader will be responsible for ensuring that the learner/s we support have good, high quality, safe, meaningful and inclusive lives.
The position requires a high degree of understanding and commitment to the individual learner and to Delta services. The prime consideration at all times must be the interests and well-being of the individuals availing of our services.
|Key Tasks||· Ensure that the life and experience of each Learner reflects the core values of Delta Centre and that all Learners
Ø Experience dignity and respect.
Ø Are afforded the opportunity to make choices.
Ø Have an opportunity to contribute and learn.
Ø Are protected from all forms of Abuse.
· Review and put into practice the details of Person Centered Plans for each Learner.
· Participate in regular reviews of any protocols/plans of care for each Learner.
· Understand and facilitate Learners needs by appropriate communication systems.
· Assist each Learner in reaching their maximum potential in independence, communication and personal development.
· Establish trusting relationships through consistency of care.
· Adhere to all Delta Centers Policies, Procedures, Employee Handbook and working practices.
· Adhere to all national policies, including (but not limited to) HIQA Standards, HSE policies, including any Safeguarding policies.
· Encourage and support community involvement.
· Support Learners to identify their future aspirations and current support needs, consider how these can be met and ensure documentation is updated accordingly.
· Lead and encourage individual person-centered processes, ensuring the best possible outcomes for each learner in each aspect of their life while respecting their rights and choices.
· Foster and encourage independence and initiative, and respect the age and status of each Learner.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties and is subject to review on a regular basis.
All duties must be carried out to comply with:
· Statutory legislation in particular but not exclusively the Health Act 2007
· National and Delta Centre agreed Policies and Codes of Good Practice, including Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse, Delta Centre Medication Policy
· Notification of accidents and other Health and Safety requirements in compliance with Delta Centre instructions
· Fire precautions
· Equal Opportunity principles
· Health and Safety
|Health Safety and Hygiene
|· Be conscious of Health & Safety matters in the workplace and to comply with employees’ obligations as set out under Section 2 of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005.
· Ensure that the procedures set out in the Safety Statement are implemented always.
· To promote safety in all environments for Learners and Employees in line with the Delta Services Health and Safety Statement.
· Become familiar with and practice fire drill procedures within places of work, i.e. fire detection, evacuation and fire fighting, PEEP’s.
· Report all accidents to your line manager – as per policy – immediately as they occur.
· To be aware of protocols in case of emergency situations, for example, hospital admissions.
· To ensure the Learner experiences dignity and respect when attending to their personal care needs.
|Communication & Team Work
|· Understand and operate all relevant local and organisational procedures, directives and general information.
· Be clear and factual in communications including report writing.
· Provide support to the team and focus on forging effective working relationships.
· Share information and be inclusive and participative with the team.
· Attend and actively participate in staff meetings as required.
· Show consideration and respect to other team members and colleagues.
· Assist in the induction of new staff and support workers.
· Facilitate the support workers contribution to the Learners Personal Plan.
· Encourage all members of the team to provide support that compliments and helps build natural support networks.
· Develop and contribute to good working relationships in the Organisation and with all other relevant personnel.
· Report to and appraise the PIC/ line manager of all work-related issues and difficulties.
· Maintain strict confidentiality relating to matters regarding personnel and services.
· Within Delta Services, there is a strong emphasis on teamwork and it is therefore essential to foster good working relationships with all members of the team.
· Delta Services operate an “open door” policy, except when requested by the individual concerned or for reasons of safety, therefore Staff should always encourage family and friends of people using Delta Services to visit, and be prepared to liaise with families and friends in a supportive and understanding manner. Visitors should always be made to feel welcome and offered the level of support that enhances the visit both for themselves and the person they are visiting.
|General Duties and Responsibilities
|· To ensure confidentiality in all matters concerning Learners and Staff, including the safe storage of medication, reports and records.
· Ensure that all accidents are reported promptly and appropriate procedures followed.
· To attend all training that is offered, so that you fully understand and work within the procedures and guidelines of the Organisation. Mandatory Training must be kept up-to-date always.
· To perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director of Services/ Nominated Provider.
· To ensure that the Vision and Mission of Delta Services is promoted and actively implemented.
· As the duties and responsibilities are likely to change with the ongoing/changing needs of the Service, staff are expected to have a high level of flexibility, and a willingness and an ability to develop new approaches to their work. The context of this post may change as the Organisation grows.
|Personal Profile||Education & Training:
· Proven competence in the care and support of the adults with intellectual disabilities and a genuine interest in this area is required.
Knowledge & Skills:
· Applicants must have excellent communication skills and be highly motivated.
· Excellent record keeping skills are required.
Competencies and Values:
· Human Rights Based Approach
· Resilience, Positive Attitude & Openness to Change
· Effective Communication & Working Relationships
· Planning, Organising & Reprioritising
|Other Information||This Job Description for the role of Social Care Worker indicates the main functions and responsibilities of the post and is subject to review and amendment in the light of changing circumstances. As determined from time to time other duties and responsibilities may be required.|
To apply for this job please visit www.deltacentre.ie.